Meeting new people via online dating can be lots of fun, but you should always take certain safety precautions with going on a date with someone you’ve just met.
These 7 tips on dating safety are among the most important rules to follow:
1. Arrange to meet your date somewhere besides your home
Never allow your date to pick you up at your house. Remember, this is someone you barely know – they shouldn’t even know your address yet! That also means they shouldn’t be dropping you off at your house after the date is over, either.
2. Meet in someplace public.
For a first date, go somewhere that will have lots of other people around. You could even go on a double date, or with a group of people. Avoid secluded areas like parks or your date’s car.
3. Provide your own transportation.
You’ll need to get yourself to and from the public place where you’re meeting your date. If driving, don’t forget to make sure you have plenty of gas.
4. Use your cell phone number.
It’s much safer to give your date your cell phone number than it is to give them your home phone. If you provide your home phone, your date can easily go online and find your home address
5. Give a friend details on where you’re going and who’ll you be with. Arrange a time to call and check in, or a time to meet up with friends later that night. That way, if you don’t show up, someone will be aware and know where to look for you.
6. Use alcohol responsibly, if at all.
Alcohol impairs your judgment and lessens your inhibitions. If you do drink, keep it to a minimum and keep your drink in sight at all times. Don’t leave it with your date while you go to the bathroom, as date-rape drugs can easily be slipped into your drink.
7. Don’t assume your date is safe.
Never to let your guard down on a first date. Just because your date “looks clean” or claims to be religious doesn’t mean they’re safe. And if something doesn’t seem quite right about your date, you’re probably right. Best to call things off.
Remember, on the first few dates you’re still getting to know someone you’ve never met before. You need to creating a safe environment for yourself. Online dating is a fantastic way to meet new people, but you’ve got to consider your safety first.